Therapy Is A Good Thing

Today I'm feeling uninspired. I have so many different topics and things I want to write about but none of them feel ready to put out into the universe. After sitting and  thinking and procrastinating I finally decided that I want to spend this post talking about therapy or, probably more appropriately, I should say ranting about therapy.

We live in a society where therapy is viewed as a negative. There are so many moments where you read or hear about some alternative to therapy that's better because it's "cheaper than therapy" and also includes the benefit of not having to admit you have a therapist. That may be true. Therapy isn't cheap, running or going to the beach or talking to friends is 100% cheaper but it's not the same. In my mind therapy is irreplaceable. There's something so freeing about being able to ramble your truest thoughts and have someone help you work through them. I don't have to worry about not making sense, I don’t have to worry about how my words are going to make someone feel, and I don't have to worry about not knowing what I'm feeling or why I'm feeling it. I just have to talk, which is quite easy for me. I think everyone would benefit from therapy. Even on my worst days I look forward to sitting down and talking to my therapist, I always leave our sessions feeling more high spirited and ready to conquer the obstacles my life brings. Therapy wasn't always like this for me though. It took time and it took finding the right therapist to get to the point where I appreciate it and am no longer ashamed. I remember when I first started going to therapy I only told a few people what I was actually doing and to everyone else I would always say I have an appointment or I have plans. Thanks society. I've come to realize, though, why should I be ashamed of something that benefits me so tremendously and helps me be able to live a life that consists of what I actually want to do? I shouldn't and so now I'm not. I will gladly talk about how I go to therapy and how much it has helped change my life for the better. My therapist helps me make sense of so many things. She helps me take my irrational thoughts and acknowledge them and work through them instead of judging me for being irrational. Don't get me wrong, I have amazing people in my life who I know I can talk to about these things, but who wants to always listen to the whirlwind of thoughts in my brain? I mean there are days I don't even enjoy it. That's why I'm thankful for my therapist. She feels like a friend to me. We laugh, we tear up, we commiserate, and we heal.

If you're looking for a therapist I think it's important that you find one you are completely comfortable with. My current therapist is actually the second therapist I've seen. At the time my previous therapist was helpful but in the end she just couldn't provide the help I needed and that's okay. It's important that you find the best fit for you so that you can benefit as much as possible from your therapist.



I highly encourage anyone who has been thinking about therapy to take that leap and give it a shot, I have a feeling you won't regret it. If you want to ever talk about therapy whether you are in it, want to give it a try, or are even just curious as to what it's like please feel free to reach out. 

Until next time. 💜

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting Mind and Body

Fear of Progress

An Introduction