Hobbies

So as you all most likely know by now things haven't been going so well for me. I just recently in about the last week have been starting to feel myself make my way back to where I was before my January and part of February low point. I want to do a post about the healing I've been feeling this January compared with times in the past but I'm not quite ready to write that, so instead I thought I would write a little bit about how I survived my down point. The most important thing I could do was stay busy but since I was feeling depressed I had to find ways to stay busy within the comfort of my home. These activities needed to be simple enough to do in a depressed state of mind but also entertaining enough to distract me and make me want to do them. I thought I would share some of the hobbies that worked for me with you all. 

  • Reading: I am an avid reader so this is usually my go to activity. It gets me out of the craziness that can be my mind for a while but it doesn't require any physical activity so it is the perfect choice for me when I'm feeling depressed but also determined to do something. 
  • Writing: Whether this is just a rant in my journal, a blog post for you all, or a letter to a friend I find so much comfort in writing. It's so freeing to be able to see what you're feeling on paper and then either shut the book or rip the page up. It's a physical act I can do to get rid of the thoughts I don't want. It doesn't have to make sense, it could even just be random words but it really can help you feel better. 
  • Learn a new craft: For me this is cross-stitching, which is a type of sewing. It's so satisfying to be able to take some thread and fabric, create some x's, and all of a sudden have a beautiful picture. The best part is I can do it while sitting on my couch. Learning something new not only gives you a new hobby to do but the learning process can be just as beneficial to helping you get out of your negative thoughts. 
  • Coloring: I'm a huge fan of coloring books especially since I'm not creative enough to draw. I find it to be a calming and therapeutic activity. I love to sit with my favorite relaxing playlist going and color away. If you are a drawer/doodler this could also be a great outlet for you to escape your negative thoughts. Whether you draw the emotions you're feeling or the places you wish you were visiting or even just doodle random lines, this can be really beneficial in helping you feel better for a while. 
  • Jigsaw Puzzles: This is a new hobby for me since I got a jigsaw puzzle for Christmas and to say I'm obsessed would be an understatement. It's the perfect amount of using my brain while also getting to relax, plus I love it because I get to do it with my parents. I wish there was a library for jigsaw puzzles!
Hopefully the next time you're feeling down you can try one of these hobbies (or a favorite of your own) and start to feel your spirits lift a little bit. What are your favorite hobbies? I would love to hear what you do so I can give them a try!

Until next time. 💜

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting Mind and Body

Fear of Progress

An Introduction