Trust Yourself

So I'm not really a fan of the saying "trust your gut" because, well, my gut doesn't really seem like something with knowledge. I much prefer the saying "trust your instinct". If there is one thing that I have learned from therapy, and is something that I continuously have to work on, it's my ability to trust myself. Since I tend to have a lot of self-doubt, I also have a large inability to trust that my instinct is right.
This is especially a problem when I'm going through a down period. When I'm suffering from my depression or my anxiety, part of coping is understanding that my brain is lying to me, but at the same time I need to take care of myself and trust my body enough to know what I need. How do I trust myself when I'm lying to myself at the same time? How do I know which thoughts are the positive helpful ones and which thoughts are the negative sabotaging ones? I tend to fight my instincts and what my body is telling me it needs because I don't feel that I can trust that is what I really need and it isn't what my anxiety/depression want.

It's so difficult and it's a concept that I struggle with daily. Unfortunately, I tend to have low self-esteem for a variety of reasons and because of this the doubt comes out really strong. I don't know if this is equally a problem for people who wholeheartedly believe in themselves, but all I know is this is something I have to work on.
Once I can learn to trust myself, my self-doubt should decrease which should help with my inner critic problems and a variety of others. I'm trying so hard to listen to my body and trust my instinct, but it's hard. I know in most cases the first step is always the most difficult, but for me in this instance I find consistency to be the most difficult part of fighting this. I'll have a good day where I trust my body and can see the positive results from doing that and then the next day it’s a brand new concept all over again. I've seen the positives that come from believing in myself and I've even experienced great moments that have come from completely trusting that I know what is best for me. This is what I'm really focusing on right now, learning how to trust myself day in and day out. It's something I want to do even though it is extremely difficult for me and I'm hoping practice will help turn it into a habit.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this I would love to hear your thoughts!

Until next time 💜

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting Mind and Body

Fear of Progress

An Introduction